Understanding how visitors interact with your web applications is a key factor in improving conversion funnels and increasing conversion rates. Recording and replaying videos of users’ actions can help you understand your users’ behavior and identify their pain points.
Compared with traditional web analytics tools that provide you raw data, user session recording and session replay tools give you valuable insights into why your website visitors behave as they do.
The customer data will help you make changes on your website or app, improving the user experience in the process. To help you catch up and prepare for this trend in web analytics, we created a list of the best user recordings and session replay tools for your business.
If you’re interested in testing these solutions, we recommend you start with FullSession, completely free. Read on and learn more about their features and benefits.
Session recordings for analyzing user behavior
Session recording software with a session playback feature presents a qualitative analytics solution that helps you watch recordings of user actions on your website or landing page. This session recording software records visitor behavior at the exact time the user browses your web pages on desktop or mobile devices.
You can learn a lot of things from a user’s session. Session recordings are invaluable for understanding and capturing sensitive data about what your users want and need. You will see:
- What your website visitors see on different screen resolutions
- What page elements catch their attention
- Where users click, tap, or scroll
- Users’ mouse movement
On the other hand, session replays help you focus on the video and pay closer attention to all details. Some analytics tools even let you set up the playback speed of your videos. Improving all critical points will ultimately lead to an improved digital experience.
Most session recording software gathers data by placing a tracking script on the website that identifies all users’ behavior, either through direct contact between the visitor and the website or through cookies.
Track user sessions and watch user behavior
By now, you surely know that improving conversion rate and optimizing conversion funnels means hard work. You will need the right mix of creative strategies and user behavior analytics tools.
Analytics tools allow you to understand which type of users interact with your site most frequently. They help you tailor content, messaging, and experiences accordingly to improve your website’s performance.
User data and analytics aren’t just numbers — they’re insights. Any company can use data and the right tools to gain valuable information about their online business. The biggest brands in the world do this every day, as it gives them a better understanding of their users’ needs and drives growth and conversions.
Despite many tools available, companies looking for session recording software don’t have to look too far offshore. With dozens of vendors and hundreds of options on the market, you would think it would be impossible to sort out the best — but we have narrowed it down to ten great options.
The best session recording tools in 2021
Why settle for mediocre website or app performance? With session recording software, you can record, review, and analyze users’ actions in real-time so you can boost engagement rates and conversions. To get your hands on the best session recording software, check out the list below.
FullSession is a session recording and session replay tool that will help you understand your users, adapt to their needs, and optimize your website performance.
Today there are many web analytics tools on the market, including Hotjar, Mixpanel, and Clicktale but FullSession has something unique to offer. It has a simple interface with amazing features that make all the difference to other web analytics tools.
Your website should be the center of your business. It should be the place where:
- Everything connects.
- You educate and inform your audience.
- You sell your product and services.
- You build relationships and trust with people.
Here is the list of FullSession features that can help you achieve these goals.
- Session recordings for users’ mouse tracking on web pages or a landing page
- Session replays to spot issues in the users’ flow from entry page to exit page
- Advanced user filtering to segment your users in different groups
- Digital engagement for bug reproduction
- Advanced user analytics to learn why your users don’t convert
- Real-time and interactive heat mapping tool to see what matters to users
- User experience and users’ feedback polls to learn what your users think
Five reasons you should choose FullSession
With FullSession, you’ll have the ability to use session recordings and session replay tools to learn more about visitor behavior. Here are the top five things that make FullSession better than its competitors.
- Broader analytics tools for visitor behavior and friction points analysis
- Comprehensive analysis of issues that may lead to funnel dropouts
- Advanced filtering options to better understand visitors digital experience
- Identification of major events inside a session that saves time and gives you focus
- Behavior and activity tracking to optimize conversion rates
It will give you a clear understanding of what your user needs and wants from your company. Our web analytics tool saves you money, time and makes your customers happy. Try it yourself today and share your thoughts with us!
We’re all about easy, and no-strings-attached service. No matter what you do, you won’t have to worry about paying for a subscription! Why pay for something you don’t know if you want it? Create your free trial today and start testing FullSession.
Investing in a tool like Hotjar can help you improve the user experience and your companies profits. With session recordings and session replay tools, you can watch what your users are doing online and discover issues in the user journey, from the entry page to the exit page.
You can observe how they use your site, make design changes, and compare the effects of those changes. It’s the UX designers’ favorite tool, but all teams working in the Information Technology industry can benefit from it.
Compared to traditional analytics tools such as Google Analytics that give you raw data, Hotjar offers you sensitive data presented in visual reports, providing you immediate feedback on whether your changes have the desired effect or not.
Hotjar is a web analytics and feedback tool you can use to make informed decisions about your website usability, navigation structure, and content organization. Here is a list of Hotjar’s features.
- Session recording
- Session replay tools
- Conversion funnels
- Form analytics
- User feedback pop up widget
- Incoming feedback
- Usability testing recruitment
Hotjar gives you a bird’s eye view of your website visitors. You can use it to see how users behave on your site, where they’re clicking, and what they’re paying attention to. If you want to learn how Hotjar compares to its competitors, you can read our Hotjar alternatives review.
Hotjar is a tool that helps you capture a variety of data from your website. With the free version, you can create heatmaps and get up to 1,000 pageviews. If you’re happy with the software, you can always choose paid upgrades:
- Plus package for small teams, starting at $39/month
- Business package for growing companies, starting at $99/month
- Scale package for large companies, starting at $389/month
With Inspectlet, you’ll have always-on visitor recordings that allow you to step into your customer’s shoes so you can potentially make improvements and increase your sales conversion rate. Also, it has an advanced setup that lets you gather data on desktop or mobile devices.
If you want to know more about the user experience on your website or landing page, Inspectlet is a good place to start. Here is the Inspectlet’s features list.
- Automatic event tracking
- Session recording and session replay tools
- Screenshots utility
- Eye-tracking heatmaps, click heatmaps, and scroll heatmaps
- User targeted tracking options
- Advanced filtering options
- Session and user tagging
- A/B testing
- Feedback surveys
- Form analytics
- Bug reports
Inspectlet offers five pricing plans, each of which includes different features.
- Micro that starts at $39 per month
- Startup that starts at $79 per month
- Growth that starts at $149 per month
- Accelerate that starts at $299 per month
- Enterprise that starts at $499 per month
If you want to read more about how Inspectlet compares to Hotjar, you can check out our review, where we cover how both tools differ, as well as their similarities, so you can decide which one is best for you.
If your site visitors aren’t converting, Mouseflow can tell you why. The service lets you replay the whole visit and sees what areas people struggled with most. You’ll be able to pinpoint and fix problems easily and boost conversions on the web or mobile apps.
We all want to know what our users think. Mouseflow is a tool that provides an in-depth analysis of your website’s visitors. Here is Mouseflow’s feature list.
- Click, scroll, attention, movement, geo, and live heatmaps
- Session recordings and session replay tools
- Conversion funnel optimization tool
- Form analysis and optimization
- User feedback
Would you like to use the free forever plan or paid plan? The free forever plan (500 sessions/month) is perfect for small businesses and websites and only offers limited features. However, if your website has a lot of monthly traffic, we recommend one of Mouseflow’s paid plans.
- Starter costs 29€ per month for 5,000 recordings/month
- Growth costs 99€ per month for 15,000 recordings/month
- Business costs 199€ per month for 50,000 recordings/month
- Pro costs 399€ per month for 150,000 recordings/month
Each paid plan has a free trial period. If you need more than 200,000 recordings/month, you can contact Mouseflow sales reps for more information.
Clicktale is a cloud-based session recording software that allows you to gain insight into how your customers interact with your digital products. It provides information on web navigation, browsing patterns, and general behaviors of your users on web or mobile apps.
This session recording and session replay tool is ideal for measuring the goals of marketing campaigns, improving conversion rates, enhancing customer experience, and boosting sales.
Clicktale is a powerful platform that has one fit for all your digital needs. It’s one place where marketers, product managers, and IT can use the session replay feature to get customer data and do their jobs better. Here is the list of Clicktale’s features.
- Customer journey analysis
- Zone-based heatmaps
- Session replay tool
- AI insights
- Mobile app analysis
- Merchandising analysis
- Friction, page error, and site error detection
- Impact quantification
- APIs and web analytics integration
Clicktale provides a record-everything service. Pricing information is unavailable on the official site, and customers will need to contact sales reps for more info. It is worth noting that Clicktale has subscription-based pricing.
The Smartlook session recording and session replay software is an invaluable tool that can help you see everything your customers do on their screens. You’ll be able to see what the visitors click, their inputs into form fields, where they spend the most time, and how they go through each page of your website or mobile apps thanks to an easy-to-use SDK.
It’s a tool that helps you stay compliant with GDPR. You can install it quickly and easily on your website by adding a small code snippet to your site or using Google Tag Manager.
Smartlook helps you get inside your visitor’s mind. You can track where they get stuck on your website, then use that information to improve the user experience. Here is the list of Smartlook features.
- Session recording and session replay with advanced filtering options
- Heatmaps that you can segment by device type or visitor type
- Automatic event tracking, statistics, and breakdown
- Conversion funnels optimization
- Analytics and reporting
- Retention tables to understand user engagement and identify churn
Bonus features for mobile devices
- User recording on Android or iOS devices
- Wireframe mode to help you focus on UI elements
- Games recording and analytics
- WebGL to see graphic elements of your apps on different devices
Smartlook offers a 10-day free trial. In this trial period, you can enjoy all the features of the Business plan. However, there is a limit of 5,000 visits. To start the trial, you do not need to enter your credit card information. After ten days, you have the option of buying a paid plan or going back to the free version. Smartlook offers three paid plans:
- Startup with 5,000 sessions/month for €31 per month
- Business with 15,000 sessions/month for €79 per month
- Ultimate provides a tailor-made solution, so you need to contact sales reps
7. Lucky Orange
With a user-friendly interface that lets you take complete control of your recordings, it is a powerful tool for UX designers, product managers, market researchers, digital marketers, and others. With session recording and session replay features, you’ll be able to see mouse movements, scrolls, taps, and gestures on the virtual desktop screen.
Lucky Orange features
Lucky Orange lets you optimize your website’s performance fast. It provides data to back up decisions in a useful way for both solo entrepreneurs and large corporations. Here is the list of Lucky Orange’s features:
- Session recording and session replay
- Live Chat for customer support
- Conversion funnel optimization to remove roadblocks
- Detailed visitor profiles with recordings history
- Announcement sharing with placement options and intelligent triggers
- Dynamic heatmaps
- Unlimited and customizable dashboards to focus on important data
- Form analytics
- Fully customizable surveys with a pre-launch preview
Lucky Orange pricing
It offers a free plan for one website. The free plan includes 500 page views per month and unlimited recordings, with 30 days worth of heatmap data. Paid plans provide more insights, and you can test them out with a free trial. Also, it offers a 10% discount for yearly payment or a 30% discount if you buy the software for two years. Check more pricing details below.
- Starter package includes 25,000 Pageviews/month for $10/month
- Small Business package includes 60,000 Pageviews/month for $20/month
- Medium package includes 200,000 Pageviews/month for $50/month
- Large package includes 500,000 Pageviews/month for $100/month
- Enterprise package lets you create a plan based for your needs
FullStory is like having an extra set of eyes on the inside; it’s like having someone at your place who can see what people are up to while you’re not around. FullStory has a holistic view of your online customer experience. It is a platform that combines both quantitative and qualitative data, so you can drive digital transformation and growth. FullStory tells you what seems to matter most these days: what appeals to your customers.
- Advanced record and session replay options with skip inactivity feature
- Users and sessions filtering based on any action
- Developers tools and bug reports
- Conversion funnel optimization
- Click and scroll heatmaps
- Collaboration tools such as notes, alerts, email digest, slack integration
- Privacy control features
FullStory doesn’t discuss pricing openly, but we can see some basic information about each plan they mention.
- A free forever plan has limited features and allows you to record 1,000 sessions/month.
- A free trial lets you test Business package features for two weeks.
- A Business plan offers a demo version you can check out.
- If you’re interested in the enterprise version, you can contact a sales representative.
We have researched what questions are the most common on the web. Then we dug deep and reviewed all the information available on these topics. After reading through countless articles and watching hours of videos, we found all the answers you need.
What is a session recorded?
Session recording is a qualitative research tool that helps you record user sessions in real-time. Marketers can replay the recordings and better understand user behavior by analyzing data, including the user’s clicks, scrolls, mouse movements, etc.
How do I start a session recording?
We will take our FullSession as an example because it consists of four easy steps.
- Create your free account.
- Add your first and last name.
- Add the URL of your website or web app.
- Choose where you want to install FullSession and get your Recording code or User ID code.
- Verify installation.
- Invite your team members.
That was easy, and it will take you only a few minutes to start with session recording.
What is Session Replay software?
Video recording can give website owners a lot of information about user sessions. It will help you understand customers’ behavior in-depth and opt for marketing strategies that better fit their needs. To analyze patterns that occur when users browse through your website or use its interface, you can invite your visitors for usability testing and watch and replay videos they make themselves.
Why is Session Recording important?
Session recording allows you to learn more about how website visitors browse your website, including where they click and what content they view. It will help you understand your visitors’ needs and wants. This method can also help developers to reproduce bugs and fix technical problems as soon as they happen.
Does Google Analytics have user session recordings?
Google Analytics is an excellent tool for tracking data and analytics relating to your website’s traffic, but it doesn’t collect everything you need to know. For example, if a site visitor accesses a series of pages to fill out a form, you may wonder whether they reached a particular point in that form or not.
Or perhaps you want to know why they even came to your site in the first place. In both cases, Session Recording allows you to see what participants do on your site, using screen-sharing technology that records their browser activity.